Could not find type 'TfsBuild.Versioning.Activities.VersionAssemblyInfoFiles' in assembly

May 8, 2014 at 3:45 PM
Edited May 8, 2014 at 3:46 PM
I'm stuck on this apparently common error. I have gone to all corners of the web but I can't quite figure out why this is happening.
Could not find type 'TfsBuild.Versioning.Activities.VersionAssemblyInfoFiles' in assembly 'TfsBuild.Versioning.Activities
To be brief:
I have read the document that describes how to install 
I am using the Simplified Installation 
We are using TFS 2012 
I am trying to install/user Tfsversioning 2.0.1
I added VersioningBuildTemplate.xaml file to your BuildProcessTemplates folder:
BuildActivites/BuildProcessTemplate/VersioningTemplate.xaml
I add the TfsBuild.Versioning.Activities.dll file to your custom activity storage folder:
BuildActivites/Custom Activity Storage/TfsBuild.Versioning.Activities.dll
In the Manage Build Controller Properties window, the Version control path to custom assemblies is pointed to:
BuildActivites/Custom Activity Storage/TfsBuild.Versioning.Activities.dll
As you can see in the title, the assembly= reference is there (the xaml file came that way) 
When I do a Edit Build Definition on the VersioningTemplate.xaml, I see the Build Versioning Parameters.
When I do a view of the VersioningTemplate.xaml, I see in red 'Activity could not be loaded because of errors in the XAML.
I also get the errors: Namespace 'TfsBuild' cannot be resolved and Namespace 'TfsBuild.Versioning.Activities' cannot be resolved

Do I need to registered the .dll in controller's GAC.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Jun 21, 2014 at 8:09 PM
I have been using this with Microsoft's hosted TFS for about a year and just started getting this error. What seemed to fix it for me was to go to the Builds page of Team Explorer in VS 2012 and from the Actions menu - choose Manage Build Controllers. With the "Hosted Build Controller (Hosted)" line selected - I clicked Properties. The "Version control path to custom assemblies" text box was blank. I entered "$/BuildTestProject/Custom Activity Storage" and clicked OK. The next build completed successfully.
Aug 29, 2014 at 3:53 AM
I have this problem too. The solution provided for jtrotman works perfect!!!
Thanks!!!