Cannot create unknown type '{clr-namespace:TfsBuild.Versioning.Activities;assembly=TfsBuild.Versioning.Activities}VersionAssemblyInfoFiles'.

Oct 19, 2013 at 12:49 AM
I'm quite excited to be able to use this tool but am stuck on this apparently common error. I have gone to all corners of the web but I can't quite figure out why this is happening. To be brief:
  • I have read the wonderful document that describes how to install
  • I am using the Simplified Installation
  • The TfsBuild.Versioning.Activities.dll file is checked in to the shared activities folder
  • Our single build controller is pointed at that shared folder for shared activities
  • We are using TFS 2010
  • I am trying to install/user TfsVersioning 1.5 (I tried the 1.0 version xaml with same results as well)
  • As you can see in the title, the assembly= reference is there (the xaml file came that way)
  • I have not registered the .dll in either the controller's GAC (it looks at the folder) nor my dev machine GAC (not using it as a custom build activity)
  • Our build process templates are in a different project than the folder where the shared activities are. I don't think that matters but thought I'd mention it just in case
Short of rebooting the TFS server or stopping and restarting services, the only thing I can think of if that maybe the version of msbuild is not matching the dll. That seems pretty far fetched though.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!
Coordinator
Oct 31, 2013 at 12:57 AM
If the build machine had loaded a version of the custom activities at one point and hasn't been rebooted OR the build controller hasn't been cycled, then .NET will hold onto the assembly forever. No way to stop that. If you are trying to load a newer assembly then the build machine will never see it. Easiest thing is to restart the agents or easier still is to restart the controller which will restart the agents. That will release the assembly.

Mark
Oct 31, 2013 at 1:08 AM
Thanks for replying. I had moved on to other work as this was lower priority and it was picked up by a coworker a few days ago and he was able to implement the rest without issue. I suspect you are exactly right and that the machine either got rebooted or the controller got recycled. This information is useful in case we ever need to add other activities. Thanks again!