ClickOnce Versioning

Aug 10, 2011 at 4:01 PM

It would be useful to have a versioning workflow (perhaps akin to NuGetter) to version and create publishing packages (possibly even zip archives of such) for ClickOnce packages. Key addition that would be needed would be to change the "Deployment Version" in the csproj to (presumably) the AssemblyVersion pattern.

I may try my hand at it if I get a chance, but thought it was a good enough idea to share in case anyone else wants to play with it.

Coordinator
Aug 12, 2011 at 2:45 AM

Hmmm.  Interesting continuation.  Lemme get back to you on this.

Mark

Aug 12, 2011 at 7:01 PM

If you want a bit more to think about: WiX and/or Visual Studio's "old" Deployment Setup product versions (and bonus: creating a new random Guid for product code). The WiX .wxs is XML so it shouldn't be too much different from ClickOnce (.csproj) and NuGet (.nuspec) updates. VS Deployment Setups (.vdproj) on the other hand use that weird old VS config format.

So basically, Installer versioning in general would be nice to have.

Coordinator
Aug 15, 2011 at 7:33 PM

Ok, that's plenty to think about! ;-)

Actually, a few years ago a colleague and I created a whole set of TFS '05/'08 capabilities (we called it the "Jumpstart Kit") that included versioning, dependencies, documentation (Sandcastle), packaging (which included WiX), etc.  It was all done in MSBuild.  It was very powerful but could be hard to set up.  Since then, I haven't run across anyone still using WiX.

Thinking...

Apr 30, 2014 at 1:31 PM
Bump

Is there any way this discussion could be revived? I'm using the 2.01 version for multiple projects (asp.net mvc web projects, WCF services) and it works excellent, but I hit a wall with the project that uses clickonce.

What I see needs to get updated is the <MinimumRequiredVersion>, <ApplicationRevision>, and <ApplicationVersion> tags in the .csproj file. When I manually bump those, then TFS Building does what I need.

Thanks