Support for metadata?

Jun 21, 2011 at 9:33 PM

Hi

Do you plan to add support for metadata in the future? (as it was possible in Visual Studio TFS 2010 Build Extensions)

It would be nice if we could set build flags (e.g. special build), add comments, and update product name or legal copyright during the buillds...

Thanks!

Coordinator
Jun 23, 2011 at 7:59 PM

I really hadn't planned on it because no one has asked for it until now.  What do you mean by "build flags"?

Regards,

Mark

Jun 23, 2011 at 8:12 PM

Hi

Thanks for the prompt reply.

We mean flags such as "private build" or "special build". The flags that can be set in the file version info aside the version itself.

See http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.diagnostics.fileversioninfo.aspx

or

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms647464(v=vs.85).aspx

That said more importantly we would like to update the "comments" field so we can set it to the build definition that was used to launch the build.

By the way do you fully support versioning of native C/C++ at this point?

Again thanks!

Sincerely,

-Gabriel

Coordinator
Jun 23, 2011 at 9:04 PM

Gabriel,

I am looking into this but in the mean time, take a look at the "Build Number Prefix" feature already in TfsVersioning.  It may give you some of the flag/indicator functionality you are looking for since its purpose is to assist in tying a build number to a build definition.  It does it through the AssemblyFileVersion or AssemblyVersion.  This way you don't need any special tool to retrieve the information, you can do it right in Windows explorer properties.

As for specific language support, it is more support around the different formats of the AssemblyInfo file itself.  TfsVersioning modifies it, checks it back in to source code control (if you want) and then the specific compiler does the rest - rather than trying to manipulate the individual assemblies.  I know that the C++ compiler adds some wierdness that the other compilers don't.

I will let you know what I come up with.

Regards,

Mark

Jun 23, 2011 at 9:19 PM

Mark

Thanks for the tip regarding prefix. We'll look into this.

Note in passing however that there is no need for special tool to retrieve any of the standard file version info strings. They all appear in Windows Explorer properties if they are defined (under the Version tab in XP for example).

For C++ what we are looking for is versioning through .rc resource files (not through managed AssemblyInfo). The tool would need to locate the "StringFileInfo" block of all the .rc files and update them. Fudamentally it is the same process than for a AssemblyInfo file but the syntax is different.

We need this because we have a mix of C#/.NET code and native C/C++ code and we would like to use the same tool to version everything during our TFS builds...

Thanks!

-Gabriel

Coordinator
Jul 15, 2011 at 9:04 PM

Gabriel,

The additional control over the assembly attributes (other than AssemblyVersion and AssemblyFileVersion) has been added to the current TfsVersioning v1.5.0.0.  The requested unmanaged C++ specific functionality is not, however, included in this version.  I understand your need but I am not in a position to support that capability right now.  I am keeping an open mind and I'm not closing the door - I just don't have the time right now.

Regards,

Mark

Jul 15, 2011 at 9:26 PM

Thanks Mark. This is great news!

When do you envision possibly having the time to add native C++ support? In the fall? Before the end of the year? Next year? Later? I realize this is a very time-consuming task but this is something that would be greatly appreciated ;-)

And if I may ask, what is your relationship to Microsoft? Will TFS Versioning become the #1 unsupported yet recommended mean by MS to version binaries?

Again, thanks for your work.

Sincerely,

Gabriel

Coordinator
Jul 15, 2011 at 10:31 PM

Gabriel,

Don't think I have any definites for you on the native C++ support. :-)

And, to answer your other question, I am a Microsoft "Blue Badge" - which means I'm an employee.  I am a consultant in MCS and a VS ALM (TFS) Ranger so I have experience building "out of band" solutions and extensions to TFS. 

We'll see if anyone recognizes this extension within the product group.  It would be nice to see this kind of functionality finally included as part of the product.

Thanks again for the feedback and the requests.  I do take them seriously.

Regards,

Mark

Jul 18, 2011 at 1:59 PM

Hi Mark

Versioning is definitively something that should be included as part of TFS. Actually in our organization we miss essentially two things from TFS: 1. versioning of binaries (including native code) and 2. support for easy backup and restore on a secondary/warm TFS server so we can make sure our backups are working without interfering with our primary server.

Hopefully your extension will be recognized and you'll get time to work on the native support ;-)

Thanks,

Gabriel